Kohima College Students' Union
We the student of Kohima College, having solemnly resolved to continue a union of the students to:
- Enable students to better provide for the needs of the students body.
- Help students activities achieve their maximum effectiveness.
- Foster academic discipline and career amongst the student community in all round development for excellence.
- Secure a healthy fraternity and harmony with a sense of collective responsibilities.
- Ensure a harmonious and healthy fraternity of an intellectual forum to protect the welfare and interest of its members and the community as well.
- Encourage and train ourselves for worthy leadership.
- Safeguard and promote the dignity of our alma mater, and be zealous towards various co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- Develop and foster the Naga culture, intellectual, social and athletic recreation of students.
- Develop foster amongst its members the formation of clubs and societies having objects described for the student community and such clubs and societies when formed may become affiliated to the Kohima College Students’ Union.
- Endeavour to provide such services as may from time to time be required by the student body.
- Discourage the formation of any other tribal union besides the Kohima College Students’ Union of Kohima College.
Nomenclature and Supremacy
The union shall be called “Kohima College Students Union”, hereafter referred to as the “union”.
The motto of the union shall be “Altiora Quaerite” or “Search For Excellence” which means to “Strive For Higher Things”.
The background of the union flag shall be white and bordered by green with the union emblem in the middle. The white colour denote peace, prosperity and unity and the green colour indicates youth and vigorous characteristic of young people.
- The description of the emblem is as follows – The Motto stands for “Search For Excellence”
- The Hills signifies natural surroundings
- The Rainbow denotes natural harmony
- The Crossing Spears represent the distinct identity of the Nagas
- The book implies the source of knowledge
- The trophy indicates joy of achievement
- Every student admitted in degree-seeking undergraduate studies and 10+2 in the college shall
automatically become a member of this union’s General body by passing requisite membership fee.
- A student shall cease to be a member of this union on the following grounds:-
- Violation of the constitution of the union.
- Gross miss-conduct, disrespect to college authority, teachers and their colleagues.
- Failure in either in the selection test or external examinations.
- Adopting unfair means in examination.
- Any other reason/reasons which president/president of the union may deem it necessary
to expel him/her from the union.
The President of The Union & Professor-In-Charges
- The Principal of the college shall automatically become the Ex-Officio President of the Union.
- The President is the Supreme authority of the union and all power is bestowed upon him/her to
suspend the Union during constitution crisis or impeach any Office Bearers/ Executive Council /
General Council on disciplinary grounds in the interest of the college and General Body.
- There shall be a group of Professors-In-Charge consisting of at least 5 to 8 members to look
into the affairs of the student’s union duly appointed by the president.
- The tenure of this body (Professors-In-Charge) shall be for a period of three years.
Union executive council/ general council
- The executive power of the union shall be vested in the union executive council consisting of office bearers. It shall be responsible for overseeing the daily operation of the union and carry out the activities of the union in accordance with the constitution.
- The tenure of the executive council/ general council shall be for a term of one year only.
- The general council members will be the elected class representative of the respective classes. The general council member shall be duly elected by the general body at the ratio of 50:1 students in every class or section.
- The union executive council shall consist of the fallowing office bearers and the executive council members will be elected indirectly by the general body (student community).
- President/ Principal (Ex-Officio)
- General secretary
- Assistant General Secretary
- Games And Sports Secretary
- Assistant Games And Sports Secretary
- Social and cultural Secretary
- Assistant Social and cultural Secretary
- Literary and magazine secretary
- Assistant Literary and magazine secretary
- Girls’ welfare Secretary
- Assistant Girls’ welfare Secretary
- The post of General Secretary shall be open to any bona fide students of Kohima college (except BA 1st semester) for the contest during union election. The general secretary shall be elected by the general council members (class representative) and his/her functions are:-
- Set and publish the schedule for the union meeting for the entire academic year, and call special meeting of the union as and when necessary.
- Call and chair all the union executive council meeting with prior permission from the president/ principal.
- Execute and oversee the daily operation of the union and inform president on matters of irregularities and improper function of the office bearers/ general council (class representative) members if any.
- Maintain union documents and records including all the decisions taken by the union .
- Shall submit the annual report of the union during annual function of the general body.
- In case of any disputes amongst the office Bearers, the General Secy. shall try to pacify the rival spirits and if he fails, the matters shall be referred to the president for solution/ perusal etc
- All cases of proposals/ expenditures of the Union shall be discussed under the chairmanship of the General Secretary in the Executive Council meeting and the matter will be duly endorsed/ discussed with the professors-in-charge of Students’ Affairs and shall be forwarded for final approval by the president.
- He /She have the responsibility to co-ordinate with all other Office Bearer in the interest of the Union. Moreover, he/she shall keep a good rapports with his/her counterparts i.e. other Colleges, NSF, and A.N.C.S.U officials.
- The post of Assistant General Secretary shall be elected by the General Council Members (Class Representatives) and shall be open to any bona fide students of Kohima College for the contest during the Union election.
- The Assistant General Secretary shall assist the General Secretary in any works relating to Union matters that are delegated to him/ her by the General Secretary for the smooth functioning of the Union.
- In the absence/resignation/expulsion/impeachment of the general secretary, the assistant general secretary shall be empowered to act as interim general secretary of the union with all the authorities bestowed upon the post of general secretary.
- The post of Games And Sports Secretary shall also be elected by the General Council Members (Class Representatives) and shall be open to any bona fide students of Kohima College(except BA 1st semester) for the contest during the Union election. His/her functions are:-
- He/she shall assist sports officer/physical instructor in all games and sports activities of the college
- He/she shall co-ordinate with professor-in-charge for all strategic and logistic supports in the field of games and sports within and without the college.
- He/she shall arrange friendly matches within their counterparts in the field of football, volleyball, basketball, badminton of any sports in order to enhance the standard and quality of games and sports in the college.
- He/she along with the sports officers / physical instructor shall be responsible for the stock record of the equipment in the college.
- He/she along with the consultation with the professors-in-charge and sports officers / physical instructor shall constitute different houses of general students and create a sense of house-wise competition during college week and any other functions in the field of games and sports.
- He/she along with the executive council/general council members shall initiate unifies efforts to organize college week, annual day or any other functions the college.
- The post of Assistant Games And Sports Secretary shall also be elected by the general council members (class representative) and shall be open to any bona fide students of Kohima college for the contest during union election. In the absence/resignation/expulsion/impeachment of games and sports secretary, the assistant games and sports secretary shall be empowered to act as interim games and sports secretary, of the union with all the authorities bestowed upon the post of general secretary.
- The post of Social and Cultural secretary shall be elected by the general council members (class representative) and shall be open to any bone fide students of Kohima college (except BA 1st semester) for the contest during union election. His/her function are:-
- To initiate social service work in the college, hostel, staff quarters, toilet etc. and to work vigilantly for the maintenance of cleanness in the college campus.
- To co-ordinate with the N.S.S. officers in all practical purposes.
- To organize cultural program within and without the college.
- To encourage music, one act plays, variety shows, beat contest, innovative cultural display, ethnic fashion shows etc.
- To liaison with other cultural troupes/ cultural societies.
- To assist executive council/ general council members during college week, annual day or any other function in the interest of the college.
- The post of Assistant Social and Cultural Secretary shall also be elected by the general council member (class representative) and shall be open to any bona fide student of Kohima College for the contest during union election. In the absence/resignation/expulsion/impeachment of Social and Cultural Secretary, the assistant social and cultural secretary shall be empowered to act as interim social and cultural secretary of the union with all the authorities bestowed upon the post of social and cultural secretary.
- The post ofLiterary and Cultural Secretary shall be elected by the general council members (class representative) and shall be open to any bone fide students of Kohima college (except BA 1st semester) for the contest during union election. His /her functions are:-
- To publish annual college magazine with the help of magazine editorial board
- To publish journal, news bulletins with the help of teaching faculty.
- To organize Seminar, Debates, Symposiums, Extempore Speech, Declamation, Quiz Competition, Mock parliament (assembly), Creative Art and Painting Competition etc.
- The post of Assistant Literary and Magazine Secretary shall also be elected by the General Council Members (Class Representatives) and shall be open to any bona fide students of Kohima College for the contest during Union election. In the absence/ resignation/expulsion/impeachment of Literary and Magazine Secretary, the Assistant Literary and Magazine Secretary shall be empowered to act as Interim Literary and Magazine Secretary of the Union with all the authorities bestowed upon the post of Literary and Magazine Secretary.
- The Post of Girl’s Welfare Secretary shall be elected by the general council members (class representative) and shall be open to any bone fide students of Kohima College (except BA 1st semester) for the contest during union election the girl’s Welfare Secretary shall be a member/ representative of the College Women cell. Her duty shall be :
- To assist the Professors- in- charge in all matters relating the welfare of girl students in the College, in looking after all the appeals and grievances of girl students in the college, in organizing separate seminars/ symposiums, in assisting any training for cooking, embroidering, tailoring, designing etc. for girl students that may be undertaken under the aegis of College Women Cell.
- To elect a representative to the College “Friends of Nature” club who will assist in organizing the students in any beautification programs for the College.
- A separate fund shall be allotted by the budgetary committee to the girls’ Welfare Secretary.
- The post of Assistants Girls’ Welfare Secretary shall also be elected by the General Council members (class representatives) and shall be open to any bona fide students of Kohima College for the contest during Union election. In the absents / resignation / expulsion / impeachment of Girls’ Welfare Secretary, the assistant girls’ Welfare Secretary shall be empowered to act as Interim Girls’ Welfare Secretary of the union with all the authorities bestowed upon the post of Girls’ Welfare Secretary.
- The president in consultation with the executive Council shall appoint the election commission (professor –in – charge) for the smooth conduct of the K.C.S.U. General Election.
- The composition of the election commission shall be: returning officer (President), assistant returning officer (Vice Principal), presiding officers (professor –in – charge), and polling officers (Teaching faculty).
- The election commission is empowered to take decision and actions, to make rules and appoint officers that may deem fit and proper for the students’ Union and also to ensure free and fare election.
- The President/ Principal ( Ex- Officio ) shall have the right to nominate any bona fide student of the college to fill up the vacancies cost due to expulsion / impeachment / demise etc. in the executive Council by selecting candidates from the General Council ( C.R.) observing his/her records, character, integrity etc. in case no eligible candidates is found from the General Council ( C.R.), the President in consultation with the executive Council and Professor- in – Charge may choose any suitable student from the General body to be appointed as an office bearer for the vacant post.
Election manual and eligibility
- The members of the General Body shall constitute the electorate college.
- All nomination filed shall be duly signed and countersigned by the persons nominating and the persons seconding the nomination and by the nominee himself/herself.
- All the voting of the election process shall be by secret ballot.
- Each candidate shall be declared elected on a simple majority basis.
- No members shall contest for more than one post/portfolio at a time.
- A contesting student must be a bona fide student of the Kohima College.
- He/she must have a good character and moral credibility.
- He/she must have 75% of attendance in the previous semester in order to qualify his/her candidature.
- He/she must be free from the influence of alcohol, tobacco, smoking, chewing paan and other intoxicants.
- He/she should not be married person.
- Double stamping/ tampering of the ballot paper shall not be considered as a valid vote.
- In the event of any dispute/conflict, the decision of the election commission shall be final and binding. No legal action/ litigation in the court of law will be permitted to any aggrieved party/ parties pertaining to college election.
- No candidate shall bring outside influence in the process of the college election. If found guilty, his/her candidature will be rejected outright by the election commission. No appeal in such cases will be entertained.
- Impersonation of voters is a criminal offence, thus any person found guilty of impersonation will be arrested and a criminal case/police case may be filed against him/her.
- In case of a tie, the president shall have the right to caste vote to break a tie.
- No intending candidate shall try to bribe/ use intoxicating substances, liquor, force, intimidation to any of the electorate members during college election.
- The union election will be held every academic year in the month of July/August. However, in the event of circumstantial compulsion, the tenure may be extended for another one month if the President, Executive Council, General Council (C.R.) and general body agree unanimously.
The quorum of the executive council/General council (C.R.) shall be by 2/3 (two thirds) majority of the total strength of the union.
- The union shall have its own fund collected as membership fee, donations, contribution and other miscellaneous collection determined by the executive council in consultation with the president and professors-in-charge. The vouchers/ accounts shall be maintained by the professors-in-charge.
- The professors-in-charge executive council members shall sit together and prepare their annual budget and place it before the president for approval. While budgeting, proper allotment should be made for all office bearers for healthy education of works.
- The president shall appoint two of the professors-in-charge to be the Ex-officio Treasure and assistant treasurer of the union.
- Misappropriation of union funds by any standards shall not be tolerated and if any executive council members are found doing so, serious action shall be taken against him/her.
No Confidence Motion/ Complaints And Disciplinary Procedures
- All office Bearers of the Executive council shall remain responsible individually to the president and they shall continue in office so long as they enjoy the confidence of the president.
- Any office Bearers/ executive council/ general council (C.R.) member shall be removed from office the executive post / office if a vote of no confidence is passed by the executive council/general council (CR) collectively by 2/3(two third) majority.
- Any complain concerning alleged misconduct of any union executive council members/ general council member (CR) / general body members must be submitted in writing addressed to the president of the union. The complaint shall be submitted within one week of the alleged misconduct. The president in consultation with Professors-in-Charge shall appoint an inquiry committee to verify the gravity/seriousness of the allegation/s and accordingly, if found guilty, he/she may be rusticated/expelled/terminated/impeached from the executive council/ general council (CR)/ general Body/College etc.
Any student can endorse a formal opinion/ petition/ grievance to the general secretary of the union for redress, which can be discussed and deliberated in the executive council meeting, and if approved, the matters may be endorsed to president for further deliberation and necessary action. All petty issues/personal matters should be discussed at the executive council meeting and disposed off from their end.
The amendment and constitutional review of the union shall be done by the executive council and general council in consultation with the president and professors-in-charge as and when required.
The constitution shall take effect in its entirety on 10th July 2006 at which time it will replace/ supersede any and all existing bylaws/rules/constitution of Kohima College Students’ Union.
Equal Opportunity and Freedom of Speech
- This constitution shall be committed to equal opportunities in all its activities. All members i.e. Executive Council/ General Council (CR)/ General Body shall at all time receive equal treatment irrespective of belief, Tribe, Community, Gender, Age, Disability, Race, Nationality, Ethnic origin, Religion and Social Background.
- The Union shall be independent of any political or social or religious body and shall be committed to freedom of speech for all.